A Communion Prayer of St Symeon the New Theologian


From sullied lips, from an abominable heart,
from an unclean tongue, out of a polluted soul,
receive my prayer, O my Christ.
Reject me not, nor my words, nor my ways,
nor even my shamelessness,
but give me courage to say what I desire, my Christ.
And even more, teach me what to do and say.
I have sinned more than the harlot who,
on learning where Thou wast lodging,
bought myrrh, and dared to come and anoint thy feet,
my Christ, my Lord, and my God.
As Thou didst not repulse her
when she drew near from her heart,
neither, O Word, abominate me,
but grant me thy feet to clasp and kiss,
and with a flood of tears as with most precious myrrh dare to anoint them.
Wash me with my tears and purify me with them, O Word.
Forgive my sins and grant me pardon.
Thou knowest the multitude of my evil-doings,
Thou knowest also my wounds,
and Thou seest my bruises.
But also Thou knowest my faith,
And Thou beholdest my willingness,
And Thou hearest my sighs.
Nothing escapes Thee,
my God, my Maker, my Redeemer,
Not even a teardrop nor part of a drop.
Thine eyes know what I have not achieved,
And in thy book things not yet done are written by Thee.
See my depression,
see how great is my trouble,
and all my sins take from me, O God of all,
that with a clean heart,  a trembling mind, and a contrite spirit
I may partake of thy pure and All-holy Mysteries
by Which all who eat and drink Thee with sincerity of heart
are enlivened and deified.
For Thou, my Lord, hast said:
‘Whoever eats my Flesh and drinks my Blood
abides in Me and I in Him.’
Entirely true is the word of my Lord and God!
For whoever partakes of thy divine and deifying Gifts
certainly is not alone, but is with Thee, my Christ,
Light of the Triune Sun Which enlightens the world.
And that I may not remain alone without Thee, the Giver of Life,
my Breath, my Life, my Joy,
the Salvation of the world,
therefore I have drawn near to Thee as Thou seest,
with tears and with a contrite spirit.
Ransom of my offences,
I beseech Thee to receive me,
and that I may partake without condemnation
of thy life-giving and perfect Mysteries,
that Thou mayest remain, as Thou hast said, with me,
thrice-wretched as I am,
lest the tempter may find me without thy grace
and craftily seize me,
and having deceived me, may seduce me,
from thy deifying words.
Therefore I fall at thy feet and fervently cry to Thee:
As Thou receivedst the Prodigal
and the Harlot who drew near to Thee,
so have compassion and receive me,
the profligate and the prodigal,
as with contrite spirit
I now draw near to Thee.
I know, O Saviour,
that no other has sinned against Thee as I,
nor has done the deeds that I have committed.
But this again I know:
that not the greatness of my offences
nor the multitude of my sins
surpasses the great patience of my God
and his extreme love for mankind.
But with the oil of compassion
Thou purifiest and enlightenest
those who fervently repent
and makest them children of the light
and sharers of thy Divine Nature.
And Thou dost act most generously,
for – strange to Angels and to the minds of men –
often Thou speakest to them as to thy true friends.
These things make me bold, my Christ,
these things give me wings,
And I take courage from the wealth
of thy goodness to us.
And rejoicing and trembling at once,
I who am straw partake of fire,
And, strange wonder!
I am indescribably bedewed,
like the bush of old which burnt without being consumed.
Therefore with thankful mind and with thankful heart,
and with thankfulness in all the members of my soul and body,
I worship, and magnify, and glorify Thee, my God,
for Thou art blessed now and throughout the ages. Amen.



2 responses:

Lord Pontivillian the Fourth, of the Pantalon Dynasty said...

Thank you, Michael, for sharing this. It is beautiful. I hope you don't mind me saving it.

Robert.

><>

Michael said...

Use it as you will. I shared it for that reason.

Post a Comment

Comments from unregistered users are welcome but please do identify yourself so as not to comment anonymously. Thank you.

 
©2009 All of Creation Rejoices | by TNB