Lent

O Lord and Master of my life, drive away from me the spirit of despondency, negligence, avarice and idle talk. But grant me, thy servant, the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love. Yea, O Lord and King, grant me to see mine own transgressions, and not to judge my brother, for blessed art Thou unto the ages. Amen.
- A Prayer of St Ephraim the Syrian

The great fast is upon us. Of all whom I have hurt, offended, or otherwise wronged, I ask forgiveness.

This calling to once again direct our footsteps towards Christ, and to give particular attention to the expulsion fr
om our lives of those things that hinder that is particularly timely for me this year because of certain recent developments, and certainly well needed after an emotionally and spiritually difficult few months. That is all I feel able to say publicly for now but your prayers would be appreciated.

I was baptised on the Sunday of the Prodigal Son so I always think of the words of the kondak of that Sunday in a very personal way, as applying to my Baptism. (A beautiful rendering of it in Byzantine chant may be heard here). Its actual application to my own life leaves much to be desired, however, so perhaps this is the time for growth through God's mercy.


Having foolishly abandoned thy paternal glory, I squandered on vices the wealth which Thou gavest me. Wherefore, I cry unto Thee with the voice of the prodigal: I have sinned before Thee, O compassionate Father. Receive me as one repentant, and make me as one of thy hired servants.
- Kondak of the Sunday of the Prodigal Son, tone 3

1 responses:

Ian Climacus said...

As God forgives, I forgive. Forgive me a sinner.

And be assured of prayers ascending from the Antipodes for you; God bless.

Post a Comment

Comments from unregistered users are welcome but please do identify yourself so as not to comment anonymously. Thank you.

 
©2009 All of Creation Rejoices | by TNB