This is none other than the house of God...

...and this is the gate of heaven.
- Genesis 28:17b


I would like to share this modernised version of a little rhyme which, it seems, is found engraved on some of our ancient churches here in Britain:

This seems to embody the same sentiment as the three bows and their accompanying prayers that we make in the eastern tradition as we enter church, acknowledging the holiness of the place and our unworthiness to enter, and, of course, the prostrations that made by those of us who enter the altar for service. There are no prayers prescribed in the latter instance but I find comfort here in borrowing from the west, saying privately those verses:
I shall go in unto the altar of God, even unto the God Who giveth joy to my youth: I will praise Thee upon the harp, O God, my God.
- Psalm 42:4
Mitre-tip to Father Abbot David of the Holyrood Benedictine monastic house in Florida.

0 responses:

Post a Comment

Comments from unregistered users are welcome but please do identify yourself so as not to comment anonymously. Thank you.

 
©2009 All of Creation Rejoices | by TNB