Haiti, I'm Sorry (UPDATED)



Recent events have reminded me of this David Rudder song, popular when I was a child in St Kitts. We would often see news footage of boats leaving Haiti crammed with people, with yet more hanging off every proturberance. Often the boats would capsize or sink, and we would see footage of bodies being recovered from the water. Yet time and time again, people would risk this out of sheer desperation, eager to escape the extreme poverty and suffering of Haiti. Meanwhile, the rest of the Caribbean and the world simply looked on - and now this. How much more can these people endure?

I shall let the song speak for itself. To date there has been no word from the Orthodox missions. Please pray for the people of Haiti, and give if you can.

Update 15/01/10: Contact established with priest in Haiti.
Update 16/01/10: His Eminence Metropolitan Hilarion makes an appeal.
Update 26/01/10: Reader Vladimir, from the Port-au-Prince parish of the Nativity, has died in the earthquake. Please pray for him, his widow, and his children.

Toussaint was a mighty man,
and to make matters worse he was black -
black, and that in the days when black men knew
their place was in the back.
But this rebel - he walked through Napoleon,
who thought it wasn't very nice,
and so today my brothers in Haiti -
they still pay the price.

Haiti, I'm sorry:
we misunderstood you;
one day we'll turn our heads
and look inside you.
Haiti, I'm sorry. Haiti, I'm sorry.
One day we'll turn our heads:
restore your glory.

Many hands reach out to St George's,
and are still reaching out.
To those frightened,
foolish men of Pretoria
we still scream and shout.
We came together in song
to steady the Horn of Africa
but the papaloa come and the babyloa go
and still, we don't seem to care.

Haiti, I'm sorry:
we misunderstood you;
but one day we'll turn our heads
and look inside you.
Haiti, I'm sorry. Haiti, I'm sorry.
One day we'll turn our heads:
restore your glory.

When there is anguish in Port-au-Prince,
it's still Africa crying.
We are outing fires in far-away places
when our neighbours are just burning.
They say the Middle Passage is gone,
so how come overcrowded boats still haunt our lives?
I refuse to believe that we good people
would forever turn our hearts
and our eyes away.

Haiti, I'm sorry:
we misunderstood you;
one day we'll turn our heads
and look inside you.
Haiti, I'm sorry. Haiti, I'm sorry.
One day we'll turn our heads:
restore your glory.

Haiti, I'm sorry.

For so long, we looked away; turned our eyes around. I'm sorry.

- David Rudder

0 responses:

Post a Comment

Comments from unregistered users are welcome but please do identify yourself so as not to comment anonymously. Thank you.

 
©2009 All of Creation Rejoices | by TNB