The Glorification of St Xenia

Yes, another video treat. This one shows excerpts from the glorification* of St Xenia, the Fool for Christ, in the New York Cathedral of the Sign, in 1978, presided over by His Eminence Metropolitan Philaret.

I do hope that when Blessed Seraphim of Platina is eventually glorified, I may able to be at the services.




*It was privately pointed out to me after the post about St John that some may not understand the term "glorification". It is the equivalent to "canonisation" as used in the Latin church - a term not unknown among Orthodox people. However, "to canonise" literally means "to enter into the canon", so is a procedural term, referring to the entering of a righteous person into the canon of Saints: the Church's calendar, liturgical observances, and so forth. However, these services are about more than that, for by them a Saint's glorification in heaven is proclaimed on earth, and they are an affirmation of the inheritance of the Saints in light in which the righteous person now shares more fully. As such, "glorification" is the term more commonly used in Orthodox circles.

4 responses:

margaret said...

To be at Fr Seraphim's glorification... what a wonderful thought. I don't think I will be able to get it out of my head now. I wouldn't be Orthodox if not for him.

Michael said...

There are many ways in which I find strength in him as well. Have you read Father Seraphim Rose: His Life and Works? There are certain aspects of the story that remind me of elements of my own experience. It's strange because in most ways we are completely different.

Jon Marc said...

I want to thank you for your thoughtful blog! I stumbled across it (initially in its older location) quite by chance and have enjoyed it immensely. I hope this finds you well and that all three of us are able to be at St. Seraphim's glorification! What a blessing that would be!

In Christ,
Jon Marc

Michael said...

Dear Jon Marc,

Welcome!

And thank you for your kind words. I'm glad my blog has brought you some enjoyment. I often think I'm too grumpy or a bit of an anorak where certain things are concerned, so it's good to know others get something from it. :-)

Post a Comment

Comments from unregistered users are welcome but please do identify yourself so as not to comment anonymously. Thank you.

 
©2009 All of Creation Rejoices | by TNB